Florida Legislators: Here’s your reading list!
This past year has been very telling. Not only did these people ignore us but they ignored their job and couldn’t seem to get it done.
My assignment for writing 101 is to make a list. I’ve been wanting to make THIS list so its win-win.
We need to know our legislators actually understand the issues and problems with Florida. We cannot take for granted that they know anything.
I’d also like to hear from you guys about what you think and we can keep a running list.
I knew what books I wanted but decided to go to the wisest people I know. My circle of friends.
This was from my friend Marjorie.
“Marjorie Shropshire : Oh, I have a whole long list LOL… But I think I’d start with Craig Pittman’s book on wetlands mitigation, and then move on to Ecosystems of Florida” so they could gain some kernel of understanding about how things in this state work; This Changes Everything, for some insight into what might be done about climate change; The Social Conquest of Earth, The Diversity of Life, and The Creation, all by E.O. Wilson for an overview of how humans fit into the world and can’t survive without natural systems; The Swamp, which we all know is the best explanation of the mess we’ve made of water management in Florida’s southern half; Priceless Florida, so they can see what we are losing; and finally, An Everglades Providence, a biography of Marjory Stoneman Douglas, to teach them what it means to do something bold, instead of sitting on their assess and eating out of the hands of their keepers.”
I love Marjorie. She’s is very quiet. But when she speaks she is mighty!
I think we all agree on the Swamp and Craig and Matt’s book “Paving Paradise.”
So here I go
- Paving Paridise
- The Swamp
No only kidding.
I’m going to list them out by name because everyone had good choices.
3. Ecosystems of Florida
4. This Changes Everything
5. The Social Conquest of Earth E.O. Wilson
6. The Diversity of Life E.O. Wilson
7. The Creation E.O. Wilson
8. Priceless Florida
9. An Everglades Providence
My friend Richard suggested
10. “The value of life” by the 4 Americans left in Iran
11. The Lorax
Mike G suggested
12. Haricari 101 for dummies (Which I don’t even think is a book but just a suggestion.)
13. Term Limits by Vince Flynn.
14. My Florida” by Ernie Lyons
15. Any book on civics
16. Reading the constitution. Followed by a written test. (She also suggested The Swamp. )
17. The Everglades: River of Grass” Marjory Stoneman Douglas.
18. “Mother of Florida Forestry”
19. Oranges and Inlets by Nathaniel Osborn. ( Will be out in book form soon)
20. The Shack. By Robert Young
21. Golfing with God
So here’s my list.
Any other suggestions leave below!